Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2000.056.001
Description Knapp & Ronneberger Machine Shop and Garage had its roots in Ed Knapp's Bicycle Shop, started c. 1900 with this ad in the city directory, "Knapp E. L. & Co., bicycles and repairing, Next to Post Office." In 1902 the business advertised its address as "P & 7th". By 1905 the bicycle business had become E. L. Knapp and Co. Machinists, one of several machine shops to start during that period as a result of increased canneries and lumber mills in Anacortes. By 1907, Knapp had joined forces with Ben Ronneberger as Knapp & Ronneberger, an automobile garage and, ostensibly the first "Ford dealership in the state." See 4-29-1981 ANACORTES AMERICAN. This view shows Knapp & Ronneberger's wrecker parked in front of the shop at 9th and Commercial. Note different locations of business below. For additional information on Knapp business, see WF 0160, 0161. The building in 2008 houses Anacortes Interiors on the SW corner of 9th and Commercial.
1907 Knapp & Ronneberger
1910 On 6th between O and Commercial
1911 "K & R install new glass front in auto garage" - 4/7/1911 ANACORTES AMERICAN
1912 Knapp & Ronneberger Garage 6th between O and Commercial
1923 Knapp & Ronneberger Garage on 5th Street becomes the Scott and Lyen Motor
Company. Knapp & Ronneberger establish new Ford agency, also called Anacortes
Motor Company
1923 902-904 Commercial
1934 Knapp & Ronneberger Wrecker Service
1937 902-904 Commercial Avenue
1939 gone from city directory
1960 Knapp works until retirement "a few years ago"; dies July 1960 (8-1-1960 ANACORTES
Subjects Anacortes, WA
Credit line Donated by Eric Tietjen
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Knapp & Ronneberger Machine Shop and Garage
Object Name Print, Photographic