Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0388
Caption Robinson Fisheries crew
Description Newly arrived crew of fishermen from Gloucester, Massachusetts, which was brought to Anacortes to man the schooners ALICE and JOSEPH RUSS for Robinson Fisheries. The 3-15-1906, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "500 people say farewell to fishermen. Gloucester fishermen come to town to fish here, 'master mariners.' " W. F. Robinson, a fisherman from Gloucester, Maine, began Robinson Fisheries in Anacortes c. 1897 at the foot of N Avenue, making fertilizer, fish oil, and glue. In 1905 he entered the codfish industry and soon announced plans to build the largest codfish cannery on the west coast. In 1912 he built the largest on Puget Sound between Erie and Dakota avenues on the Guemes Channel. This was later the location of the Russian Cement Plant, and in 2008 of Lovric's Sea-Craft. Also see 7-25-1912, ANACORTES AMERICAN. Robinson operated several schooners that made the yearly six-month trip to Alaska. At this time period, two of them were the ALICE, acquired in 1904, and the JOSEPH RUSS, acquired in 1905. This photo is probably one of those two vessels. The 2-20-1908, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Schooners ALICE and JOSEPH RUSS will be arriving soon in Anacortes for overhauls. Both boats are part of the codfishing fleet owned by Robinson Fisheries." See also WF 0373, 0374, 0375, 0376, 0388, 0389, 0391, 0424, 0425, 0426, and WF 4560.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Industry - Fishing
Maritime - Boat
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Robinson Fisheries
Bering Sea
fertilizer
fish oil
glue
Russian Cement Plant
Lovric's Sea-Craft
ALICE
JOSEPH RUSS
Object Name Print, Photographic