Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0653
Caption Guemes Island school
Description Commencement day at Guemes Island School, the structure most likely being the one built by islanders in 1885. The first school built on Guemes was a log building constructed in 1873 about .75 miles from the present ferry dock; its teacher was Laura O'Bryant Murrow, the daughter of Guemes Island settler H. D. O'Bryant. This school served the island's students until 1895 when William Edens donated an acre of land for Guemes School. The 10-10-1885 NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported that a 20' x 30' schoolhouse was erected and paid for by "subscription" from local ranchers. The 10-7-1948, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that the Guemes Island School District would consolidate with the Anacortes School District and that only grades K through 3 would remain on Guemes Island. Older children would be bussed to Anacortes. In 1962 the Guemes Island School closed for good.
Date 1900 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Guemes Island
Structure - Residence
Organization - School
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Guemes Island, WA
Search Terms Guemes Island
Guemes Island School
Commencement Day
Object Name Print, Photographic