Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1269
Caption 22nd and Commercial
Description View of Commercial Avenue looking north from 22nd Street. It is unknown what event this photo documents, but judging from the fire engine in front of Allan's White Market and the crowd gathered across the street from it, it is probable there was some sort of emergency at Allan's, or possibly a promotional event at the store. Archie Allan began his chain of stores in 1905. The 8-31-1905, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Archie Allan, of Battle Creek, Michigan, purchases business and grocery stock of E. S. Cook in the "Nelson Addition," 23rd and S Avenue." By 1913 Allan's White Market was located at 2104 Commercial. The 1-7-1926 paper reported that Allan had purchased the corner of 21st and Commercial and was likely to build a two-story building. The 11-27-1930 paper reported Allan had also purchased the McNaught Building at 5th and Commercial; the next year he opened another store there call Allan's Market; see WF 1202. By 1954 Allan's business at 21st and Commercial was called Allan's Stop and Shop. He sold the building c.1956 to M. Russell Hollister and Jerome H. Mudge, who operated Anacortes Marina there for several years. To the south (left in the photo) of Allan's Market is the building located at 2114 Commercial. Continuing south, on the west side of the street , McGill's Gas Station is visible on the left side of the photo at 2120Commercial. The gas station began business c.1925 at this location; by 1937 it was replaced by the Red Lion Tavern.The Texaco Gas Station at the corner of 18th and Commercial is also visible on the right side of the photo; that station opened sometime between 1941 and 1948. Note the "acorn" street lights on Commercial. For additional views of this scene, see WF 1270, 1271.
Date / /
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Business
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms fire engine
Allan's White Market
Nelson Addition
two-story building
McNaught Building
Allan's Market
Allan's Stop and Shop
Anacortes Marina
McGill's Gas Station
Red Lion Tavern
Texaco Gas Station
acorn street light
Object Name Print, Photographic