Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.II.084
Caption Mangan farm
Description Timothy and Flora Mangan (possibly 5th from right) family (14 people), pet deer, in front of home on Guemes Island. Several of those in this photo can be seen in WF 0052 which was taken the same day. They homesteaded around 1871 on the south shore of Guemes Island. Mangans also established the first store on Guemes. By the early 1880s they were involved in several businesses with the help of their sloop TOP, including sheep, livestock, farming, store, and lumber yard supplied by Port Madison mills. 4-8-1882 PUGET SOUNT MAIL reported, "Capt. Mangan of Guemes Island, is doing a rushing business in the trading line with his 10-ton sloop TOP. He will devote a good share of his time to the lower Nooksack, the Islands and Gulf trade. He will carry an assorted cargo of supplies to trade for produce in the out-of-the-way districts." On 8-26-1882, the NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported Mangan was enlarging his store to turn the second story into a "hall for public entertainments." On 5-19-1883, it reported Mangan was building a new wharf. He had "rented the Anacortes pile driver" and commenced the construction of a substantial wharf on Guemes Island, that was completed that summer. Timothy Mangan had died by 1900. On 10-19-1911, Flora Mangan died and the ANACORTES AMERICAN remembered her as "A widow who struggled hard during times", raised vegetables and fruit, made butter. About 60. No resident of Guemes took a more active or earnest interest in the development of the island and the maintenance of the highest citizenship."
Date 1889 c.
Photographer BOOEN, J. O., (probably, see notes)
Subjects Animal - Deer
Place - Guemes Island
Structure - Residence
Credit line donated by Wallie Funk
People MANGAN, Timothy "Tim" Buckley
Place Guemes Island, WA
Search Terms Guemes Island
Guemes store
lumber yard
Port Madison mill
pile driver
Object Name Print, Photographic