Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0232
Caption Commercial and 6th
Description View of Commercial/P Avenue looking north toward Guemes Channel from 6th Street. P Avenue changed to Commercial Avenue on January 23, 1902, by order of City Ordinance No. 240. The white building visible at left, foreground, is the Pioneer Building (NW corner of 6th and P), which was partly made up of the old Nobar Hotel. The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 8-25-1898, "V. Funk has bought the northwest corner of 6th and P and will move the old Nobar building to the recently acquired realty and occupy it with his stock of groceries." That move was completed in December 1898. The 3-30-1899 edition reported, "V. Funk's building at the corner of 6th and P is being remodeled inside and out and when completed will be attractive." See also, WF 0075, 0116, 0133. The brick Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building is visible just north of the Pioneer Building; the sign for J. P. Mark's men's clothing store is visible in the ground floor shop.Mark's store opened there in 1898, moved south on Commercial between 7th and 8th by 1905, and was out of business by 1910. The Platt Building at 4th and Commercial is the tall building at far center of photo; the tall building at the far end of the street on the left side is Taylor Hotel. On the right side of the street is the Vendome Hotel at the NW corner of 6th and Commercial. Just north of the Vendome Building stand three buildings. The first is the former site of Funk's City Bakery, Grocery, and Hardware (see WF 0078). The next building originally stood next to the Nobar Hotel on 2nd Street and was moved to this site in 1891 (See ANACORTES AMERICAN, 10-29-1891). The third building was the original site of Schmidt's Pharmacy. Note absence of McNaught Building on right side of street; that structure moved to 5th and Commercial in the summer of 1904. Also note worn condition of planked street; in 1902, Anacortes City Council passed a resolution to improve Commercial Avenue from Ocean Dock to 11th Street. Old planking was to be replaced from foot of Commercial to 3rd Street; from 3rd to 11th, the planking would be removed entirely and replaced by "cement gravel." Work began that summer and the existence of planking on this section of Commercial dates photo to pre-1902. For additional views of this intersection, see also WF 0231, 0233.
Date 1901 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Commercial Avenue
People
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Commercial Avenue
P Avenue
6th Street
City Ordinance
Pioneer Building
Nobar Hotel
Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building
J. P. Mark's men's clothing store
Platt Building
Taylor Hotel
Vendome Hotel
City Bakery, Grocery, and Hardware\Schmidt's Pharmacy
McNaught Building
cement
gravel
Object Name Print, Photographic