Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1049
Caption Jackson Funeral Home
Description Exterior view of Jackson Funeral Home, 807 Commercial. Until c. 1934, Haugen's Funeral Home was the only funeral home in Anacortes. That year, however, the city directory listed Groven Mortuary at 807 Commercial. By the 1937 directory, Groven Mortuary had been sold to Harry D. Jackson who lived at 901 8th Street and advertised his business at 807 Commercial as "Funeral directors and licensed embalmers, ambulance service." Jackson operated Jackson Funeral Home through the 1954 city directory. A spectacular fire on June 26, 1952, destroyed the garage, three cars, and the chapel and adjoining rooms. This view shows the southern edge of the Paramount [Island] Theater Building; the central building, housing Jackson's Funeral Home, is believed to be the J. R. Brown Building, constructed in 1891; see 1-21-1891 and 2-12-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN. The building to the south is believed to have housed Jackson's hearse, and was the building that burned June 26, 1962. Following Jackson, the business became Bryson Engdahl Mortuary until 1977. The building was then converted to a restaurant by Village Pizza, which still operates as of November 2013.
Date 1930s c.
Photographer BRADY, Ferd (in his collection retrieved by Wallie Funk)
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Haugen Funeral Home
E. S. Dodge and Son's Funeral Parlor
Groven Mortuary
ambulance service
funeral director
licensed embalmer
Paramount Theater Building
J. R. Brown Building
hearse
fire
Bryson Engdahl Mortuary
Village Pizza
Jackson Funeral Home
Island Theater
807 Commercial Avenue
Object Name Negative