Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.III.082
Caption Whitney School
Description The first Whitney School opened in 1907 in the Anacortes Hotel at 8th and J Avenue. The school was named for Rienzi Whitney who was killed in 1891 at the age of 51. The 8-1-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Everything that Mr. Whitney undertook was on so large a scale that it commanded public notice and was of public benefit." Also see WF 0758 and an article by Alice Cahail in the 9-7-1939 ANACORTES AMERICAN for additional information on Whitney. The Anacortes Hotel, built in 1890 as a substantial structure that housed an elegant hotel and first-class bank, soon became an empty shell with the collapse of the "Anacortes Boom" and the Panic of 1893. The paper reported on 2-29-1912, "Before it had been open a year it was definitely and permanently closed, the furniture was auctioned off and the property passed into the hands of the Seattle National Bank. For a number of years people were allowed to live in the building without paying rent, simply for the purpose of keeping up the insurance." In 1901, Seattle National Bank sold the building for $1000 and taxes ($3000) to a syndicate of Judge Million, Grant Neal, W. V. Wells, and Gus Hensler. In 1907, the structure was "put in shape for use as a school; rented to school board on year-to-year lease." The 7-11-1912 edition reported that Anacortes voters chose a new site for Whitney Elementary between L and M avenues on the south side of 12th Street; it cost $4150 to build.
Date 1906
Photographer unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
Structure - School
People
Credit line Wallie Funk Collection, Donated by Wallie Funk
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Hotel
Seattle National Bank
Anacortes Boom
Panic of 1893
Whitney Elementary Grade School
Object Name Print, Photographic