Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0108.A,B,C
Caption Anacortes Post Office 1890-1895
Description Curtis - Childs Building 4th St. at Q Ave. Anacortes. Seven men and one woman stand in front of this building, constructed to hold the Post Office on the corner of 4th and Q. On 2-22-1890, the ANACORTES PROGRESS reported, "Post Office to be erected at corner of 4th and Q." On 5-15--1890, the paper stated, "Post Office nearly completed on corner of 4th and Q." In the 1-22-1891, issue of the ANACORTES AMERICAN Childs discussed the history of the Anacortes Post Office. The Post office was housed at that location until c. 1895 when W. G. Beard became postmaster and moved the Post Office to the Platt Building at the corner of 4th and P/Commercial. The Green Tree Hotel (shown on 1890 Sanborn Map of Anacortes) is partially visible at far left side of the building. Other businesses have hung their shingles on the 2nd floor of this building in the photo; see signs under the windows. The 6-22-1911, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the building was later used as "a hotel; and is currently being renovated to be used as hotel, lodging house again." On the back of the photo Wallie Funk wrote that the building was part of the Edgewater Apartment complex in the 1950s. It was badly burned by a fire, reported in a special "Fire!" ANACORTES AMERICAN edition on 7-20-1959. The building became an office of Dakota Creek Boat Building in 1994.
Photographer EWING, David B.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Structure - Business
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Post Office
Curtis-Childs Building
Platt Building
Green Tree Hotel
Edgewater Apartments
Dakota Creek Boat Building
Object Name Print, Photographic