Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1118
Description This view of the Wilson Hotel restaurant shows patrons celebrating the grand reopening of the Wilson Hotel following extensive renovation, lasting 17 months, by owner Valentine Funk and his son Wallie V. Funk, Sr. The hotel was constructed by David Wilson of Tacoma in 1890, who lost the building due to financial reverses. Valentine and Barbara Funk purchased the Wilson Building in 1901, and their son, Wallie, purchased it in 1916. This renovation came as the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce mounted a concerted effort to bring a "first-class hotel" to Anacortes. In January 1926, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Committee Ready for Action" and announced that the Chamber of Commerce had formed a "hotel committee," headed by Douglass Allmond, to attract a premier hotel to Anacortes in order to stimulate business. See the 05-13-1926 edition, "Hotel committee members chosen." The Funks' renovation of the Wilson was clearly an effort to place their hotel at the forefront of that competition. The following are highlights of the paper's coverage of the renovation. 01-21-1926 reported the Funks were planning an extensive renovation of the Wilson Hotel including the installation of a new Otis Elevator and had "purchased the lobby decorations of the Leopold Hotel in Bellingham" for use in remodeling the hotel lobby and dining room. 03-18-1926 - "Ground broken for new stage depot at rear of Wilson Hotel." 05-20-1926 - "Funks make plans for enlarging New Wilson. Capacity will be nearly doubled. Valentine Funk, owner of the New Wilson, plans to invest $40,000 in project ... Hotel, when completed, will be provided with same class of furnishings as Monte Carlo in Everett." 08-26-1926 - "Work progresses on new building." This article reported on the Hotel New Wilson annex on 8th Street. 04-28-1927 - "Lobby of New Wilson is made elaborate." Here the new decor of the lobby was detailed including Spanish galleons decorating the lampshades, and arches throughout the lower floor. "All of these galleons were designed and decorated by L. Kronquist, local commercial artist." See Portraits; Lawrence Kronquist. 5-5-1927 - "More than 700 at improved New Wilson Hotel opening." The open house, food, orchestra, etc. were reported. Newspaper ads were taken out by many local business in this issue congratulating the Funks on the hotel's renovation and reflect the importance of this event in the revitalization of Anacortes' downtown core in the late1920s.
Date 1927, April 28
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Wilson Hotel
New Wilson Hotel
Anacortes Chamber of Commerce
hotel committee
Otis Elevator
Leopold Hotel
lobby decorations
Monte Carlo hotel in Everett
grand reopening
Object Name Print, photographic