Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0581
Caption Dewey
Description This view of Dewey shows building left over from the boom days of 1890. The community began in the late 1870s under the name of Deception, a name taken from the Deception Pass and the Deception Mill which began on the shore there in 1878; see WF 0036. The community was renamed Fidalgo City in 1889 as real estate speculation rose with the impending approach of a railroad in Anacortes. One early settler, who arrived there at that time, recalled that the only thing in Fidalgo City in 1889, besides the mill, was the post office; see 9-30-1954 ANACORTES AMERICAN: "Dewey is thrifty; vigorous." The 6-30-1898 paper reported that the people of Fidalgo City had petitioned to change the name of their post office to Dewey to honor Admiral Dewey's victory in Manila Bay during the Philippine War. The instigator for this was purportedly the postmaster, A. Quint. Numerous buildings were constructed during the boom days of 1890, including a bank, built by Will and Julius Potter. The bank, seen here in the center of the photo in the distance, failed in the Panic of 1893. Julius Potter was involved in various other business enterprises, including the building of the Anacortes and Fidalgo City electric line, which became his financial ruin. He put his efforts into new channels. Several thousand acres of wild land were bonded on Whidbey Island, a corporation was formed, and he began trying to locate home seekers on small orchard tracts. When his health failed and his partner lost money, he abandoned the project. See 12-21-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN for report of Potter's death. Also see WF 2131.
Date 1900 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Fidalgo Island
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Fidalgo Island, WA
Search Terms Dewey
Fidalgo City
post office
Anacortes and Fidalgo City electric line
Object Name Print, Photographic