Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1423.001
Caption Marineer Pageant Salmon Barbeque
Description The Salmon Barbeque was an integral feature of the Marineers' Pageant. This view shows the salmon barbeque being set up on Q Avenue near 6th Street. Elks Hall, then known as the Community Building, is visible at right at 904 6th Street. The July 17, 1940, ANACORTES AMERICAN stated that 2000 freshly caught salmon would be barbequed over an open fire, Indian fashion, by R. Stanley of Bellingham. The event would take place on the "east side of community building at 6th and Q." An August 1940 issue reported that 10,000 attended that year's Salmon Barbeque held "near Community Building ... where salmon was roasted in block-long pits." Note the ferris wheel from the midway rides which is visible in the rear. The ANACORTES AMERICAN building is visible at right rear on the southwest corner of 6th Street and Q Avenue. The Fry-McMillan Building, located on the northeast corner of 6th Street and Q Avenue, appears to be demolished at this time. See WF 1199. The Elks Building pictured here was built in 1915 and served the Elks until 1937 when they moved to 1009 7th Street. The old Elks Building then became known as the "Community Building," and numerous public events were hosted there, including the Fishermen and Citizen dances during the summers of the late 1930s and early 1940s. At that time the address of City Hall was 1107 5th Street. On September 25, 1947 Anacortes City Hall moved into this building. See WF 1421, 1422 for more views of the barbeque.
Date 1940
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Event - Salmon Barbeque
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Marineers' Pageant
salmon barbeque
Elks Hall
Community Building
salmon
pit
ANACORTES AMERICAN
Fry-McMillan Building
City Hall
Object Name Negative