|Caption||WCTU fountain at Anacortes Museum 1978|
WCTU fountain in the northeast lawn of the Anacortes Museum (Carnegie Library building) in 1978. Photograph was shot at night using time-exposure.
Fountain: Weighing almost 1,000 pounds and standing 9 feet tall, the W.C.T.U. Fountain was unveiled on Nov. 26, 1906, at the corner of 5th Street and Commercial Avenue. The cast-iron and zinc fountain was purchased from the popular J. W. Fiske Company by the Women's Christian Temperance Union (W.C.T.U.).
The fountain was both decorative and functional. With bowls of three sizes positioned at three heights, the fountain was meant for all -- men and women, horses and dogs. The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that the fountain was "a convenience and luxury long needed ...giving the city an air of prosperity."
The fountain was donated in the memory of Carrie M. White, longtime president of the Union's local chapter. Providing an alternative to liquor fit the W.C.T.U.'s mission.
1906: The fountain arrives in Anacortes by freight and is dedicated in front of hundreds of citizens. It resides at the corner of Commercial Avenue and 5th Street outside Thornburg's Department Store.
1934: With the proposed widening of Commercial Avenue, the fountain is moved to Washington Park.
1972: After almost 40 years in the elements and in serious disrepair, the fountain is moved to the Anacortes Museum and mounted in front of the museum on 8th Street.
2000: The fountain is moved to its current location on the museum's northeast lawn on 8th Street and M Avenue.
2002: The newest rust removal and paint job is finished and plumbing is replaced. The unveiling ceremony is held on October 15.
|Photographer||ERHOLM, Steven L.|
Structure - Fountain/statue
Structure - Business
Place - Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Steven L. Erholm, 1994|
W. C. T. U. Fountain
|Object Name||Print, photographic|