|Caption||Anacortes Box & Lumber Co. 1941|
The Anacortes Lumber and Box planer mill and box factory were completely destroyed by a $75,000 fire which started at 5:15 p.m. on June 25, 1941, and the company was permanently closed in its wake. The flames were under control within an hour by the Anacortes Fire department using two engines and one hose truck. The blaze continued into the morning hours , but was confined to two units and the dock. The sawmill portion of the mill was saved by the action of the fire department and volunteers. A dry kiln, office, and power plant were unharmed. Operation of the mill had resumed the previous July after nearly two years of shutdown from the previous fire in February, 1938.
Anacortes Lumber and Box was in business from c. 1904 - 1941 at 3rd and R Avenue. The mill was built on the original site of the Bowman Mill, constructed in 1890 at the foot of Cap Sante. In 1902, the Great Northern Mill opened on the Bowman site but closed the following year. In 1904, a third mill, Anacortes Lumber and Box, arose at the site. The March 18, 1909, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Improvements at Local Lumber Mill. Anacortes Lumber and Box builds new building, installs new machinery. The 4-1-1909 issue reported those improvements cost $10,000 and would increase the mill's capacity by "25,000 board feet per day." In 1911 the mill was touted as the largest box factory on the Pacific Coast. A fire that year did $10,000 damage and almost destroyed the mill but for "Eleven lines of hose and a favorable wind." The 12-12-1929 paper stated that Anacortes Lumber and Box was "one of the dependable bulwarks of the city." After the fire of 1941, the site was leased in 1942 by Anacortes Shipways to build ships for the WWII effort. The mill's smokestack was an important landmark in town from its construction in 1928 to its demolition in February 1999.
Disaster - Fire
Industry - Mill - Lumber
Anacortes Lumber & Box Co.
lumber box factory
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|