Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2001.tan.340
Caption Goodwin-Benedick-Havekost bldg -mid 1930's
Description Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building, built 1890 (and completed very early in 1891) at 5th and Commercial. First occupants upstairs were the town's first architect, J. C. Jepson (age 42) and major contractors, T. A. Long and W. H. Merritt (did many major Anacortes buildings ie: Anacortes Hotel, Wilson Hotel Block (8th and Commercial) Post Office, Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost building and Columbian School). Also in the building were Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost realtors, developers, town promoters on the ground floor. This photo was taken in the mid 1930s. Occupants on bottom floor according to signs in windows (left to right) are: Etter Barber Shop;Travelers Insurance Company, Matt R. Kingsley, Agent - Notary Public, "complete service"; A F & L Cannery Workers Local 21173; Pavliks PhotoArt; Hansen Electrical Shop, Bonded, Licensed Contractor; ad inside by window is for a "DANCE ....Saturday Night, Eagles' Hall, Anacortes ... Gene Duncan". Far right appears to be a drug store with ad in the window: "Ex-Lax, Keep Regular"
Date 1930's mid
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Business
People BENEDICT, H. M.
GOODWIN, Benjamin
HAVEKOST, Tonjes Henry
Place 510 Commercial, Anacortes
Search Terms architect
construction
contractor
Real estate business
Matt Kingsley Insurance
barber
barber shop
barber pole
Etter Barber Shop
A. F. of L. Cannery Workers local
local 21173
Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building
Object Name Print, Photographic