Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0187
Caption The Joker Saloon
Description The Joker Saloon was located at the corner of 3rd and P/Commercial. The 5-15-1890, ANACORTES AMERICAN featured advertisements for the saloon run by Con Sullivan which sold "wines, liquors,cigars." On 9-15-1904, the paper reported, "Con Sullivan to Improve [the Joker]." on 2-16-1911, it was reported the Joker Saloon would "Move into the Shamrock Bar while its frame building is being renovated." The bar apparently lasted until statewide Prohibition went into effect on 1-1-1916. By that year 23 of the 48 states had enacted laws forbidding the sale of liquor. On 1-1-1919, the 18th Amendment made prohibition the law of the land throughout the U.S. Note the spittoons on the floor, and the telephone at far right. "UNION BAR" sign is above the central light fixture, and "Try our old Applejack" sign is at far left.
Date 1890s, late-early 1900s
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Business - saloon
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People SULLIVAN, Con
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Joker Saloon
Shamrock Bar
Prohibition
spittoons
Object Name Print, Photographic