Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0931.002
Caption Nelson School
Description This view is of the second Nelson School, built in 1902. The first Nelson School was constructed in 1884 on land donated by the Nelson family. Noah and Catherine Nelson moved to Fidalgo Island in 1882. The 4-5-1882 NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported, "Mr. Noah Nelson from Howard, Minnesota, is on his way to this place." They donated a portion of their land for a school in 1884. the 3-22-1884 edition reported, "Miss Jessie Williams will open school in the new house just completed near Mr. N. Nelson in Section 18." That schoolhouse served as the center of the community, then known as Utopia, an area absorbed by Anacortes in 1890. The 12-27-1884 edition reported, "The Christmas tree at the Nelson school house was a success. Fidalgo Island was represented from Anacortes to Similk Bay, and from Fidalgo to Lake Erie, Guemes also being well represented." The new Nelson School, pictured here, cost $3200; it was demolished in 1951 and San Juan Bowling now (2008) occupies the site. See WF 2584.
Date 1920 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - School
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Nelson School
Utopia
Christmas tree
San Juan Bowling
Object Name Print, Photographic