Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0126
Caption millinery shop
Description Unknown millinery shop on Commercial Avenue. Millinery shops were an important fixture of Anacortes businesses from 1890 through the 1920s. One of the first to advertise was the Artistic Millinery Store in the Bennison Block (314 - 320 Commercial) on 12/11/1890. These stores were housed in many different buildings from the Keystone Block [Mrs. A.L. Snyder 9/24/1891] to the Vendome Building [Mrs. Lester and Gundlach, 4/15/1909]. Because these businesses catered exclusively to women, they provided an important social outlet for females. "Front row: Elsie M. Conolley and her mother Clarinda Strong. Back, Tania Ortieg, Annie Leighe, Laura Beffa."
Date 1905 c
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects People
Clothing - Women
Business - Millinery
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People BEFFA, Laura
CONOLLEY, Elsie M.
LEIGHE, Annie
ORTIEG, Tania
STRONG, Clarinda
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms millinery
Artistic Millinery Store
Bennison Block
Keystone Block
Vendome Building
Object Name Print, Photographic