View of Great Northern boxcar in front of Cavanaugh Mill (J.H. Cavanaugh and Sons) at the foot of 27th Street between S and T avenues. James Cavanaugh, a native of New York, came to Anacortes in 1902 and opened the first of two mills. That year it reported it shipped 36,000 shingles annually to the eastern United States. (SEBRING'S SKAGIT COUNTY ILLUSTRATED) The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 9-28-1911, "New machinery for Cavanaugh Shingle Mill ... on the 'southside.' " Mill had just installed a "complete new line of machinery including six upright shingle machines." On 4-30-1913 it reported that two Cavanaugh mills were running at that point; Charles M. Cavanaugh ran Mill 1 and James Cavanaugh ran mill 2. Images of the mill, taken by C.W. Scarborough, were published in a special 4-30-1913 ANACORTES CITIZEN issue. (Scarborough had just opened a photo studio in Anacortes that year.) The Cavanaugh mills ran until at least 1921. They are not listed in the 1927 city directory; it may have been destroyed by fire.
Photo was published in 9-30-1954 ANACORTES AMERICAN Homecoming & History issue, p. 11; 8-6-1959 ANACORTES AMERICAN Pioneer Edition, sect. 2-4; SKAGIT SETTLERS, p. 118. WF 0494.A has writing on back written by Madge Davis Stafford.
Industry - Mill - Lumber
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
CAVANAUGH, Charles M.
STAFFORD, Madge DAVIS
Cavanaugh Shingle Mill
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|