Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.II.066
Description Citizens of Anacortes hosted huge 4th of July celebrations for many years beginning in 1890, the year of the BOOM. Celebrators are gathered at the foot of Commercial Avenue on Guemes Channel in front of the Oregon Improvement Company Land Office, the main town developer. A horse and buggy are visible, and a sign for the event states "1776-1890." Taylor Hotel is visible behind the land office (see WF 0047, 0063). Nobar Hotel is visible on 2nd Street at center, rear (see also WF 0075). Stumps of trees are visible at right. The Anacortes City Band is seen at left, center, with their new instruments. For additional view of Oregon Improvement Company warehouse, see WF 0177. This is one of many photos shot on July 4, 1890, as reported by the ANACORTES AMERICAN on 7-10-1890, "Photographic Views: On the fourth, Messers Booen and Ewing, the enterprising photographers of this city, were busy taking views of the most interesting points about town and along the wharves. Among the views taken were the Indian baseball team, the landing of the Yosemite, etc., etc."
Date July 4, 1890
Photographer BOOEN, J. O.
Subjects Animal - Horse
Event
People
Photograph
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms 4th of July
Ocean Dock
Guemes Channel
Oregon Improvement Company Land Office
Taylor Hotel
Nobar Hotel
tree stump
Anacortes City Band
Oregon Improvement Company
Object Name Print, Photographic