Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1121
Caption Popcorn and candy stand
Description This popcorn and candy stand was located on the curb at the northwest corner of Commercial and 7th Street, next to the Empire Theater. The corner of the theater and its marquee are visible at the right in this photograph. This stand was a fixture on Commercial Avenue until it was removed in 1963, according to an article in the 12-12-1963 ANACORTES AMERICAN. The Empire Theater was located at 622 Commercial from 1913 - c. 1939. The 6-19-1913 paper announced that a new theater would be built. The 12-18-1913 issue reported, "New Theater Opens Monday." The Empire Theater was a showplace for much of Anacortes' cultural events during the period from its opening through the 1930s. The theater was remodeled in 1927. The 3-18-1927 paper reported, "Empire Doors Reveal Great New Theater." Empire Theater reborn last night. It died and went to heaven some weeks ago but has escaped and come back to Anacortes." The theater continued through c. 1946. The Burton family purchased the structure and on 12-4-1958 the paper reported, "Burton's owners are celebrating the grand opening of their new building following a $72,000 remodel of old Empire Theater." The corner business remains as Burton Jewelers as of December 2017. A movie poster advertises "The Runaround," which came out in 1946.
Date 1946/ -/c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms popcorn and candy stand
Empire Theater
marquee
Burton Jewelers
Object Name Print, photographic