Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1997.040.001-.021
Caption W.T. PRESTON - LaConner
Description 21 Photographs of W. T. PRESTON moored in LaConner in 1975. The banner on the boat celebrates 200 years of service by the U. S. Army - 1775 - 1975.

The wood-hulled snagboat W. T. PRESTON was built c. 1929, using some components (sternwheel and engines) of the vessel it replaced, the SWINOMISH. The W. T. PRESTON, named for the only civilian engineer then working for the Corps of Engineers, served the Corps form 1929 to 1939, pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers. A new steel-hulled, 163' W. T. PRESTON was then built at the Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, again using material from the wooden boat it replaced. In 1981 the W. T. PRESTON, "last Puget Sound sternwheeler" was retired. She went on display in Anacortes in 1983.

Photos 16-21 are missing.
Date 1975
Photographer MUELELR, Tom
Subjects La Conner, WA
Maritime - Boat
Credit line donated by Tom Mueller
Place La Conner, WA
Search Terms W.T. PRESTON
LaConner, WA
Object Name Print, Photographic