Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2132
Caption Fidalgo City bank building
Description Rear view of Fidalgo City bank building (far right), constructed during the boom of 1890. The bank was located just north of Gibralter Road, behind the present-day residence at 15178 Gibralter Road; see WF 2200. The community began in the late 1870s as Deception and centered around the Deception Mill, built on the beach; see WF 0036. The community was renamed Fidalgo City as speculation rose in 1889 with the impending approach of a railroad in Anacortes. The bank was constructed in Fidalgo City in 1890 by Will and Julius Potter; it failed in the Panic of 1893. Julius Potter was involved in various other business enterprises, including the building of the Anacortes and Fidalgo City electric line, which became his financial ruin. He then put his efforts into new channels. Several thousand acres of wild land were bonded on Whidbey Island and a corporation was formed to begin trying to locate home seekers on small orchard tracts. When his health failed and his partner lost money, the project was abandoned. The 12-21-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported Potter's death. Fidalgo City was renamed Dewey in 1898 to honor Admiral Dewey's victory in Manila Bay. The 9-26-1912 ANACORTES AMERICAN ran an article detailing how the bank was used in the early 1900s. "A group of Austrians is staying at the old bank building and Funk cottage; entertaining the people of Fidalgo City every evening - they are fine singers and have an accordion, graphophone and roller skates - they skate for enjoyment after fishing all day which is their occupation." By 1955 R. A. Farris had turned the bank building into a chicken house; see the 3-23-1955 MOUNT VERNON HERALD. The building was burned in a practice fire by the local fire department in 1964. See also WF 2131, 0581, and Wallie Funk photos of the building taken in 1959.
Date 1930s
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Fidalgo Island
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Fidalgo City
Gibralter Road
Dewey
Bank
Chicken house
Object Name Negative