Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1721
Description A crowd of women and children are gathered in front of an unknown bakery/donut shop in the Platt Building on the northwest corner of Commercial and 4th. They each hold a donut. The storefront has workers with white aprons standing behind a donut-making machine that is displayed in the window. Boxes of "Formay Shortening" are displayed in the window. This may have been either the Anacortes Bakery at 404 Commercial (listed in the 1929 city directory) or the Rotary Bakery at 402 Commercial (listed in the 1932 directory). The area between 4th and 5th on Commercial was traditionally a location for bakeries during the early 1900s. The 1934 City Directory listed four in that vicinity, including the Rotary Bakery in the Peterson Building, located on the southeast corner of 4th and Commercial at 403. The sign for the Rotary Bakery and the Petersen Building are reflected in the glass at the right side of this photo. The Rotary Bakery would move to 402 Commercial by 1934. The McNaught Building, on the northeast corner of Commercial and 5th is reflected in the glass of the window at left.
Date 1930 c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Event
People
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Women
Children
Donut
Platt Building
Formay Shortening
Anacortes Bakery
Rotary Bakery
Peterson Building
McNaught Building
Object Name Print, Photographic