Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1004.A,B
Caption Benson Motor Company
Description Benson Motors at 301 Commercial was first owned by Harvey Benson, and later by Hal Bauer and Win Purcell. It first appears in the 1934 city directory of the museum collection. It was advertised as "Ford dealers, Sales and Service." The business was listed in the same location until the 1954 city directory; it was not listed in the 1962 directory. This view shows a salesman with a new car. Note "NRA" sign in window of car dealership. The National Recovery Administration was part of Franklin Roosevelt's Depression-era programs. An NRA organization formed in Anacortes in 1933 to "handle the detail work and publicity of this great drive for prosperity." Ed Schwartz, then president of the Chamber of Commerce, was contacted by the Washington State NRA headquarters to organize the civic bodies of Anacortes and begin the drive for members and cooperation in the National Recovery campaign. For more information, see the 8-10-1933 ANACORTES AMERICAN.
Date 1930s c. late
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
Transportation - Land
Structure - Business
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Benson Motors
car agency
Ford dealer
trucks
NRA
National Recovery Act
Chamber of Commerce
Object Name Print, Photographic