|Caption||Cottonwood Island [aka Sinclair island]|
Approximately 8 fishing boats and 2 ferries moored at the dock on Cottonwood Island [aka Sinclair Island]. Some of the boats identifiable are: ECHO and VIRGINIA. Three men can be seen on the dock. Framed in 4 strips of worm-wood perhaps cottonwood. and backed with plywood panneling.
From "The Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft, Vol XXXI, History of Washington, Idaho and Montana 1845-1889, page 359: "Sinclair Island, sometimes called Cottonwood, lies between Cypress and Lummi islands,containing an area of 1,050 acres, of which 1,000 are cultivable. It was settled by A. C. Kittles in 1868. Kittles went from Cal. to the Fraser mines, thence to Orcas and Fidalgo islands, and finally here. He keeps cattle and sheep. There were no wehite women on sinclair or Cypress islands in 1885.
Maritime - Boat
|Place||Sinclair Island, WA|
Cottonwood Island, WA
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|