Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2016.032.054
Object Name Whistle, Steam
Description This steam air whistle is from the Morrison Mill chipper shed which was built in 1930. Morriston Mill began c.1891 as the McCann Mill. It became the Rodgers Mill in 1896 (see WF 0504), then became the Old Oregon Mill in 1911 (see WF 0499). In 1918, Old Oregon was purchased by the Morrison Mill Company. (See WF 0490 for more information about another mill acquired by the Morrison brothers, Fidalgo Lumber and Box.) The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 2-21-1918 that the new mill would employ "about 175 men once it is in operation. It is one of the few mills on Puget Sound that can handle timber up to 90' in length." The mill suffered major damage from a fire in December 1923 (See 12-6-1923 ANACORTES AMERICAN). By 1954 the mill was operating as the Ozette-Morrison Spruce Mill. It closed permanently in 1955. On 3-4-2001 the mill's smokestack was imploded due to damage suffered in the 2-28-2001 Nisqually earthquake; it was the last remaining symbol of Anacortes's lumber and mill industries that had played such a substantial role in the city's economic development form 1890 to the 1950s.
Date / /
Dimensions H-5.75 W-3.25 inches
Caption Tag on Morrison Mill steam whistle
People DRAGOVICH, John
Search Terms 1948
Marineers' Pageant
Marineers' Pageant Parade
Safeway
918 Commercial Avenue
Trulson Motor Co.
Pentecostal Assembly of God
902-904 Commercial Avenue
Cossacks
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Industry - Fishing