|Object Name||Bottle, Apothecary|
Aqua-blue tinted bottle marked "Castoria, Chas. H. Fletchers" on the sides. The seam is through the lip. This bottle was used for a laxative for children. Fletcher's Castoria derives from a mixture of senna, sodium bicarbonate, wintergreen, taraxicum, sugar and water patented by Samuel Pitcher of Barstable, MA in 1868. (Pitcher's Castoria). In 1871-1872 rights were acquired by J. B. Rose & Co. Rose also made Centaur Liniment, one for people and one for animals. In 1877 they were renamed the Centaur Company, with Demas S. Barnes and Charles H. Fletcher as principals.
In 1888 Fletcher, who had registered his signature as a trade mark in addition to the name Fletcher's Castoria, assumed control of the Centaur Co. He continued to promote Fletcher's Castoria until his death in 1922.
The following year Sterling Products Company paid $3.5 million for a 1/4 interest in the Centaur Co. Eventually Sterling became sole owner of Fletcher's Castoria.
Fletcher's Castoria is manufactured and sold by the Mentholatum Co. who bought the rights from Sterling drug in 1984.
|Notes||See "Accession Research Information" binder for more information on old bottles.|