|Object Name||Clock, wall|
This clock is from the Island Theater [see information below]. When plugged in it has a "neon light" inside that gives off a greenish color to the clock which can be seen in the theater while it is dark. Donor says the clock would turn red near the end of the show. Unsure if this was in the theater body itself or out in the lobby.
plate on side of clock: Canadian Pat. 354,994; U. S. Pat. 1,994,950; U. S. Glo-Dial Pat. off.; Clock Company Los Angeles U.S.A.; 110 Volts A.C.; Cat. No. S22; Cyc 60; volt-Amps 50; Ser No. 6562B
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.; Inspected; Electric Sign
... the Paramount Theater, built by Wallie V. Funk, [Sr.], in 1928-1929 on the southeast corner of Commercial and 8th [801 Commercial]. The 11-08-1928 Anacortes American reported, "$80,000 theatre will be erected. Theater to be erected by Wallie V. Funk ... will probably be called the Paramount. It is to have a beautiful foyer and lobby and a Spanish design will be applied to the entire decoration scheme ... seating capacity 650." Note, this Spanish design was echoed in the newly redesigned lobby of the Wilson Hotel. The Great Depression of the 1930s resulted in Funk losing the property. The 09-07-1933 edition reported the theater was planning to open as the Roxy Theater; it closed in 1936 because of financial difficulties. It would not reopen as a theater until 1941 when it became the Island Theater and remained in business through 1977. The 09-14-1977 papaer reported, "Island Theater is being closed and building sold to Island Savings and Loan." Today the remodeled building houses the Bank of the Pacific (2011).
See Accession file for more information about the drinking fountain "bubbler"
|Dimensions||D-7 Dia-26.5 inches|
|Caption||Island Theater Clock|
|Credit line||Donated by Carl Wedlund, April 2011|